WHY IS MY AC BUZZING/HUMMING? 5 REASONS YOUR AC IS HUMMING/BUZZING.
Several different problems can induce a buzzing/humming noise in your HVAC system.
The most common issues are:
- Failing Capacitor: A humming noise is common when the capacitor starts to break down.
- Malfunctioning Compressor: Incorrect amperage can trigger a loud buzzing sound.
- Loose Parts inside the HVAC: Your system has moving parts that need to work in sync. If a part becomes detached, noises occur.
- Refrigerant Leaks: Freon leaks may cause your system to freeze up. As a result, a buzzing sound may happen.
5. Fan Motor Seized:: When the fan is jammed or stuck, it creates a humming/buzzing sound as it’s trying to spin.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY AC IS HUMMING/BUZZING?
It’s best to stop running your HVAC system and contact an HVAC professional to evaluate and diagnose the cause of noise. Even if your AC is cooling the home while the noise occurs, it could be a sign of a more serious issue.